Tuesday, 31 January 2017

I Don’t Call Myself An Enterprise Architect

... anymore.


A few people have asked why I call myself a Change Designer rather than an Enterprise Architect. The reason is simple: the EA label misrepresents what I do.


The popular understanding of  Enterprise Architect is:
  • attached to an I.T. view of the world - I’m not only focused on I.T.
  • often synonymous with large arcane frameworks like TOGAF - I dislike them
  • regarded as slow, top-down, big modelling up front etc - I prefer Dan Ward’s F.I.R.E. approach.


I use the title Change Designer because:
  • They are two simple words, that together, explain what I do - I Design Change (transformational or otherwise).
  • They don't t limit me to only focus on I.T. - but, at the same time, they don’t exclude I.T.
  • Much of my thinking and toolset come from the world of “Design Thinking” (and Systems Thinking, Complexity Science etc.).


I guess I’m lucky in the sense I’m unemployable now, partly due to age but mostly due to temperament! :-) I’m more choosy about the things I work on where and when. All this means I don’t need to splash “Enterprise Architecture” and TOGAF all over my CV to find the next gig - and if I did, I’d probably not meet the client’s expectations!

Follow #foundindesign on Twitter to see what I'm up to these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment